Sunday 25 September 2016

Dumped

A strange feeling wafts over me. It is more then a mere depression.  There's a gulf inside which threatens to break a storm.  I sigh.  I have just broken up with my boyfriend Jake and I feel at a loss.  It seems that I am alone again, and I don't know how to cheer up about it.

"What you want?"  asks Jake in the back of my mind.

I pop the dream-bubble, before I drop to my bed.  I don't want to sleep, I want to be awake, I want to eat - so I bite on my nails, and then I crook my fingers.

"I hate you;"  I tell Jake in the back of my mind.

But he does not hear - he is in the kitchen cooking pancakes, pizza, and lemonade.  I brush my skin, then my hair, then I rub my lips.  He is just so dumb - so why am I upset?


I watch the light turn into a shadow, and the evening settles outside.  I keep sulking - nothing to do, no where to go, no one to call...

"Call?"  I ask a I look at my phone book.

There's no one good in there - Sally, Krystie, Anne, Tim, Roger, Fred, Alice, Peony... etc, etc, etc....  all friends of the past rubbing their wry grins on the wrinkled pages.  Jake had been my most recent, and I already feel like a dunce.

I wish a little, I kick my mind, and then I pick up the phone.  I dial Jakes number and he answers.

"Hello?"  he asks.

"Hi;"  I say with empty lips.  "Wanna go out and have pizza?"  I ask even when I am not hungry.

"No time;"  tells Jake - a brush off for when he is watching movies.

"I can visit?"  I ask.

"I've got the runs;"  tells Jake - another brush off for when he is saying a range of rude words.

"Let's go out!"  I suggest.

"No thanks;"  tells Jake with a hiss.  "I'm eating chicken;"  he adds.

I sulk.  Now he is being a sexist and a racist, and so I slam down the phone.

"Jake is intolerable;"  I say as I continue to sulk.  "The world isn't fine for me like he his;"  I steam before I pick up the phone.

I dial the pizza place and order fifty dollars worth of pizza and dessert.  I then hang up the phone -  Jake isn't the only one who can eat over a wounded pride, I can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment